The Cylindrum is a massive tuned percussion instrument designed using the principle of open and closed air column resonance. The instrument was constructed by Gregg Stephens with the help some rather involved mathematics, plenty of elbow grease and quite a few bloody fingers. The end result is a massive 20-foot-long tuned percussion instrument with a pitch range spanning a full 4 octaves. Overall, it sounds like a strange organic synthesizer coupled with tuned tom toms. With deeply nuanced dynamic velocity layering and extensive round-robin variation, this instrument is truly an experimental percussionist's dream come true.
Our Cylindrum library contains three separate variations of the instrument: dry small, dry fat and wet. The small set is made from a series of 1½-inch diameter PVC water pipes played by tapping fingers over one end, with a microphone positioned at the far end. The fat version is made from a series of 4-inch ABS corrugated plastic tubes with an open-ended rubber port hole, played with a ping pong paddle. Both sets were recorded in a dry studio room, giving them a full, resonant and fat tonality perfect for arpeggiated melodies and driving bass lines. The wet version is built from 4-inch ABS corrugated plastic tubes with felt mallets on a 3/8″ heavy rubber cap, recorded in an ultra-wide stereo array in a lush glass and tile hall. This slightly more distant sound and closed port delivers a much more brutal transient impact perfect for dramatic scoring and layering with other percussion.
- 13 dry, individual 4" open-tube impact articulations, mapped in a chromatic ensemble with 10x round-robin and up to 7 velocity layers.
- 1 dry 1½" open-tube impact articulation, mapped in a chromatic ensemble with 30 individual notes, 2 round-robin and 20+ velocity layers.
- 12 dry, individual 4" tube impact mute articulations, mapped in a chromatic ensemble with 10x round-robin and up to 3 velocity layers.
- 18 wet, individual 4" closed-tube impact articulations, mapped in a chromatic ensemble with 10x round-robin and up to 7 velocity layers.
Powerful GUI Features:
- 13 sound-designed atmospheric ambiences crafted from original Cylindrum content.
- LFO system with selectable shape, target, speed, intensity, tempo-syncing and fade-in controls.
- 12 filter types assignable to velocity, modwheel, expression, after-touch, key position and sequencer.
- Advanced arpeggiator system.
- Play-assist features with key and scale locking.
- Modular FX rack window, with 18 DSP effect modules to choose from, including 99 custom environmental and 38 FX reverb presets.
This library is designed for the full retail version of Native Instruments Kontakt 5.5 or later. Kontakt is an industry-standard advanced virtual instrument software platform. Check out screenshots of our custom graphical user interface for Kontakt in the image gallery above. They provide a wide range of sound shaping parameter controls, each one totally automation-ready in your host environment or Kontakt's stand-alone mode. Click Here to learn more about Kontakt.
This is a standard Kontakt open-format library, so the free Kontakt Player do not fully support it and can only run it in a time-limited "demo mode". However, the sample directories are unlocked so you can use them in other wav-compatible software, sampler and synth formats. The special Libraries tab doesn't support this open-format Kontakt library, but you can use the standard File browser tab, or import it into the Kontakt database and Quickload tools for easy navigation, loading and organization.
- 1 Master .nki instrument bank in open Kontakt format
- 20 Custom Sound-Designed FX and Ambient presets
- Multi-sampled acoustic articulations and designed atmospheric sounds
- 3,367 Samples
- 1.76 GB installed
- 24-bit, 48kHz PCM wav format
- Flexible and intuitive multi-layer user interface controls, with LFO, filter, glide, and arpeggiator.
- Full FX rack with convolution reverb with custom rooms, halls, chambers & FX environments.
The full retail version of Native Instruments Kontakt version 5.5.2 (or later) is required to use .nki instrument presets included in this library. The free Kontakt "Player" and "Add Library" import process do not support this standard open-format Kontakt library. Windows XP or higher. Mac OSX 10.9 or higher. Dual Core CPU, 3 GB System Ram, SATA or SSD hard drive recommended for this library. This software is delivered as a digital download, so a broadband connection is required. All sales are final. Please see our Help Page for download and installation instructions, tutorials and the End User Licensing Agreement before ordering.
Cylindrum by Soundiron Walkthrough
Composing Using Cylindrum With Nathan Boler
Cylindrum | Craig Peters - Retrogradiation
Cylindrum | Fernando Nicknich - A Swarm of Flies