The idea of the washing machine as a piece of musical equipment, while not unheard of, has been fairly limited in its scope. Generally you'll see the white cube playing a rudimentary spin cycle beat behind a mediocre guitarist who is only vaguely aware of the naturally occurring music which is constantly present in our modern human environment. The washing machine will play this beat dutifully, knowing that it isn't respected for musical talent like its ancestor the washboard. We spend so much less time with the modern washing machine, than the folks of previous generations did with the washboard, that we've become coldly detached from it. The washing machine happily does all the work, never complaining, and still we complain about laundry day. If we just took a little time to talk to our washing machines we may find out that they are treasure troves of musical potential.
The broad variety percussion instruments we've given you represent a fair cross-section of the breadth of its acoustic capabilities, with everything from soft, gong-like, harsh, warbly, trashy, tight, muted, dreamy, bassy, to warm and sweet tones.
We also bowed various edges and surfaces to produce strong resonant metallic and screeching tones as well. We've also included a huge range of of our signature multilayered special effects, drones and ambient soundscapes, with advanced tone-shaping and FX control features. The myriad sounds and textures must simply be heard to be believed.
Last, but not least, we figured we had to go the distance and cover a wide range of traditional washing machine sound effects from a full wash cycle, recording up close in wide stereo. I don't know about your washing machine, but ours from the freakin' future. You could pretty much do up the sound design for an entire sci-fi film with this puppy alone.
All presets are arranged both as tuned and untuned percussion, with mode switching at the push of a button. We've also built our remarkably flexible Überpeggiator into nearly every preset, along with a range of automatize sound-shaping knobs and do-dads. There are also a range of texturally rich bowed articulations (yes, we strung up a washing machine), with round-robin staccato and long sustains with release. This library was originally released in 2011 by Tonehammer.
Tuned Percussion - Featuring tuned/untuned mode select, a full range of sound-shaping controls and Überpeggiator, and master washing machine percussion ensemble preset
- Bang (10rr, 6 velocities)
- Click (10rr, 2 velocities)
- Finger (10rr, 4 velocities)
- Flat (10rr, 6 velocities)
- Harsh (10rr, 6 velocities)
- Knock (10rr, 4 velocities)
- Lid Drop (10rr, 3 velocities)
- Lid Slam (10rr, 2 velocities)
- Muted (10rr, 6 velocities)
- Plonk (10rr, 4 velocities)
- Plucked string type A (10rr, 6 velocities)
- Plucked string type B (10rr, 4 velocities)
- Ringing (10rr, 6 velocities)
- Side Pound (10rr, 4 velocities)
- Side Tap (10rr, 3 velocities)
- Slam (10rr, 6 velocities)
- Soft (10rr, 5 velocities)
- Swipe FX (10rr, 5 velocities)
Bowed - Featuring adjustable psuedo-legato and sound-shaping controls
- Airy Hiss
- Cold Air Vent
- Dry Motor
- Hot Air Vent
- Shrill Buzz
- Squeaking Drag
- String Buzz
- Staccato Überpeggiator w/round-robin
FX - 200 MB of unique textural sound design, all with a full range of performance and tone-shaping controls
- 11-layer Milti-ambient bank, with independent drone crossfading and multi-layered dynamic swelling
- 8 additional custom-shapable sound-designed lead and pad “synths”
- 5 unique FX Percussion presets
- Over 100 unique mechanical washing machine sounds
- Gurgles, sucks, sloshes, sprays, drains, fills
- Pounding, slamming, roaring
- Spin-ups and downs
- Beeps, clicks, whirrs, hums, clanks and blasts
This library is designed for the full retail version of Native Instruments Kontakt 3.5 or later. Kontakt is an industry-standard advanced virtual instrument / software sampler platform. Learn more about Kontakt by Clicking Here
Check out screenshots of our custom graphical user interface for Kontakt in the image gallery above. They provide a wide range of sound shaping parameter controls, each one totally automation-ready in your host environment or Kontakt's stand-alone mode.
This is a standard Kontakt open-format library, so the free Kontakt Player doesn't support this open-format Kontakt library. However, the sample directories are fully accessible to allow user customization, import and mapping into other wav-compatible software, sampler and synth formats.
The special Libraries tab doesn't support this open-format Kontakt library, but you can use the standard File browser tab, or import this library into the Kontakt database and Quickload tools for easy navigation, loading and organization.
- 1.22 GB Installed
- 1045 Samples
- 47 Kontakt 3.5 .nki instrument presets
- 24 bit / 44.1 kHz uncompressed PCM wav audio
- Unlocked Kontakt presets and wav samples to allow user customization
- Includes a bonus collection of custom sound-designed special FX presets, as well as our favorite custom convolution reverb impulses and an advanced Kontakt user interface with full automation support.
The full retail version of Native Instruments Kontakt version 3.5 (or later) is required to use .nki instrument presets included in this library. The free Kontakt "Player" and "Add Library" import process do not support this standard open-format Kontakt library. Windows XP or higher. Mac OSX 10.6 or higher. Dual Core CPU, 2 GB System Ram, SATA or SSD hard drive recommended for this library.