The Tbilat is a traditional Moroccan hand percussion instrument comprised of a pair of large and small clay pot drums bound together, with goat skin drum heads and sinew wrappings. It’s also often referred to as a “Tamtam” or simply “clay pot drums”. Tbilats generally have a tight, crisp sound similar to bongos, but with a raspier, rounder and deeper tonality.
The Kingdom of Morocco is located in Northern Africa, just across the strait of Gibraltar from Spain. Known for its coastlines, mountain and vast deserts, it's been continuously inhabited for well over 100,000 years, with deep cultural, artistic and musical roots that span the entirety of known human history. The intricate designs of the pots and wrappings and tonal versatility of these instruments are an excellent example of this long and rich creative heritage.
We recorded our large tbilat pair in a dry studio environment with bare hands and fingers. We recorded each articulation with an average of 6 or more dynamic velocity layers and 10 round-robin variations per note. We then recorded a second session with the instrument in a large reverberant tile and stone hall from close and far distances. The close position retains strong presence, but offers an open and live atmosphere, while the far position provides a feeling of lush, cavernous space and distance. Both of these “wet” hall options are ideal for orchestral arrangements and more atmospheric songwriting.
In addition, we also manipulated our tbilat source recordings into 12 unique sound banks, each with velocity layering and plenty of robin variations per note. These stylized impacts, stingers, boomers and atmospheric hits are excellent for cinematic scoring, video game and multimedia sound design, EDM music and hybrid compositions. All of these articulations and sound sets are available within the master preset, with independent articulation layering, blending and switching right at your fingertips.
- Low Drum Fingers: Center, Edge, Rim, Poke, Poke Mute
- Low Drum Slaps: Center, Center Mute, Edge, Edge Mute
- High Drum Fingers: Fingertap, Poke, Tap Rim, Poke Mute
- High Drum Slaps: Center, Edge, Palm
- Ceramic Side Slaps: High & Low
- Special Effects: Pull-Off, Sweep, Swipe, Rub, Scratch, Drag and Dig
Powerful GUI Features:
- 12 sound-designed impact and cinematic strike categories, with round robin and velocity layering.
- LFO system with selectable shape, target, speed, intensity, tempo-syncing and fade-in controls.
- 12 filter types assignable to velocity, modwheel, expression, after-touch, key position and sequencer.
- Advanced arpeggiator system.
- Play-assist features with key and scale locking.
- Modular FX rack window, with 18 DSP effect modules to choose from, including 99 custom environmental and FX reverb presets.
This library is designed for the full retail version of Native Instruments Kontakt 5.5 or later. Kontakt is an industry-standard advanced virtual instrument software platform. Check out screenshots of our custom graphical user interface for Kontakt in the image gallery above. They provide a wide range of sound shaping parameter controls, each one totally automation-ready in your host environment or Kontakt's stand-alone mode. Click Here to learn more about Kontakt.
This is a standard Kontakt open-format library, so the free Kontakt Player do not fully support it and can only run it in a time-limited "demo mode". However, the sample directories are unlocked so you can use them in other wav-compatible software, sampler and synth formats. The special Libraries tab doesn't support this open-format Kontakt library, but you can use the standard File browser tab, or import it into the Kontakt database and Quickload tools for easy navigation, loading and organization.
- 1 master NKI instrument banks in open Kontakt format
- 20 Custom Sound-Designed FX and Ambient presets
- Multi-sampled acoustic articulations and designed atmospheric impacts
- 3481 stereo samples
- 2 GB Installed
- 24-bit, 48 kHz Stereo PCM Wav Format
- Flexible and intuitive multi-layer user interface controls, with LFO, filter, glide, and arpeggiator.
- Full FX rack with convolution reverb with custom rooms, halls, chambers & FX environments.
The full retail version of Native Instruments Kontakt version 5.5.2 (or later) is required to use .nki instrument presets included in this library. The free Kontakt "Player" and "Add Library" import process do not support this standard open-format Kontakt library. Windows XP or higher. Mac OSX 10.9 or higher. Dual Core CPU, 3 GB System Ram, SATA or SSD hard drive recommended for this library. This software is delivered as a digital download, so a broadband connection is required. All sales are final. Please see our Help Page for download and installation instructions, tutorials and the End User Licensing Agreement before ordering.
Tbilat by Soundiron Walkthrough
Soundiron - Tbilat | Spencer Nunamaker - Forces of Evil
Soundiron - Tbilat | Nathan Boler - Firewalking