Petroglyph is a stone hand percussion library recorded with a collection of authentic primitive stone artifacts from various North America tribes and cultures from the pre-Columbian era, with some pieces dating back many thousands of years. They include basic tools (mortars, pestles, grindstones, bowls, awls, hammers) and weapons (axe heads, spear tips and arrow heads) in all sorts of shapes, sizes and stone types. The objects are carved from obsidian, serpentine, slate, flint, granite, sandstone, volcanic basalt and animal bone.
The sounds produced can range from heavy grinding scrapes and thuds to thin, glassy taps, clicks, clacks and clinks. We’ve recorded 100 sound sets, each with 8 to 10 round-robin variations for each velocity layer. They’re useful as unique alternatives for traditional hand and drum percussion, electronic percussion, sound effects and game/software user interface sounds. And they have a satisfyingly basic, raw and elemental feel to them that makes them fun to play.
These assorted artifacts of ancient everyday life were discovered all over the continent. Yet they each share the same common forms, shapes, designs and purposes that can be found among tools and weapons in nearly all pre-historic human societies throughout the world. They give us insight into our shared origins as families and tribes of creators and tool makers, farmers, war-makers and hunters. They are not mere curiosities—they are symbols of our common legacy. They were crafted by those who came before us as tools that were meant to be put to use, so as tool-builders ourselves, we feel it is important to give them new life and new potential as creative tools for the modern era.
- A Deeply sampled collection of primitive stone weapons and tools, with 100 recorded articulations.
- Captured up close and in stereo in a dry studio environment
- Recorded with high-fidelity Neumann and Sound Devices hardware
- 7 NKI instrument presets.
- 12 Click articulations
- 17 Flam and bounce articulations
- 13 Hand and finger articulations
- 33 Scrape, drag and grind articulations
- 25 Striking articulations
- Selected tonal "Tuned Percussion" articulations for melodic playing
- Beautifully-rendered user interface.
- Multi-mode Arpeggiation with step-sequencer.
- Multi-FX Rack panel perfect for sound design and creative manipulation
- Convolution Reverb with 70 different cathedrals, churches, chambers, rooms, halls and special effect impulses.
- A full multi-effects rack, with EQ, filter, phaser, flanger, delay, distortion, amp & speaker simulation and more.
- Unlocked samples that can be used in any software environment that supports regular uncompressed wav files.
This library is designed for the full retail version of Native Instruments Kontakt 5.5 or later. Kontakt is an industry-standard advanced virtual instrument software platform. You can view screenshots of this library's custom graphical user interface in the image gallery above. This library is packed with features to provide you a wide range of sound shaping parameter controls, each one totally automation-ready in your host environment or Kontakt's stand-alone mode. Learn more about Kontakt by Clicking Here.
This is a standard Kontakt open-format library, so the free Kontakt Player does not fully support it and can only run it in a limited "demo mode". However, the sample directories are unlocked so you can use them in other wav-compatible software, sampler and synth formats. The special Libraries tab doesn't support this open-format Kontakt library, but you can use the standard File browser tab and import this library into the Kontakt Quickload window for easy loading and navigation.
- 305 MB Installed
- 2292 Samples
- 7 Kontakt 5.5 .nki preset banks
- 24 bit / 48kHz uncompressed stereo PCM wav audio
- Unlocked Kontakt presets and wav samples to allow user customization
The full retail version of Native Instruments Kontakt version 5.5 (or later) is required to use .nki instrument presets included in this library. The free Kontakt "Player" and "Add Library" import process do not support this standard open-format Kontakt library. Windows 7 or higher. Mac OSX 10.8 or higher. Dual Core CPU, 2 GB System Ram, SATA or SSD hard drive recommended for this library. This software is delivered as a digital download, so a broadband connection is required. All sales are final. Please see our Help Page for download and installation instructions, tutorials and the End User Licensing Agreement before ordering.
Petroglyph Walkthrough with Jan Hoeglund
Walkthrough - Ancient Space
Reviews & Endorsements
"Created with crystal clear samples of stone artifacts, Soundiron conjures up history with the new percussive concept...Petroglyph is unique and fun to play as an instrument and doubles as a sound effects library."